- Have you been told by your doctor that your blood pressure or cholesterol are too high?
- Have you been advised to start statin medications because your total cholesterol just crossed 200 and you are concerned about whether the risks outweigh the benefits for you?
- Have you been told “lose weight and exercise” but just aren’t sure what the best way to do that is?
- Do you have a family history of heart disease, heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, or other cardiovascular conditions and do not want to follow the same family path?
These are just some of the reasons our patients give for why they want to learn the naturopathic approach to their heart health.
Prevention is Key
When it comes to heart health, prevention is one of the best tools we have to offer. Naturopathic medicine excels in reducing risk factors for heart disease and teaching effective tools to minimize your chances of developing cardiovascular problems.
Research confirms that a healthy lifestyle has the biggest impact on cardiovascular health. When we adopt healthy lifestyle behaviors in young adulthood, we maintain a low cardiovascular risk profile in middle age. The five most important healthy behaviors are not smoking, low or no alcohol intake, weight control, physical activity and a healthy diet.
Dr. Harden starts with a comprehensive cardiovascular evaluation. We employ cutting edge diagnostic testing, including advanced lipid panels, LDL particle fractionation, HDL particle evaluation, omega 3 index, calcium scores and genetic testing. Based on your past medical history and family history, she will determine the tests that will best illustrate your risk and begin to design a protocol to both prevent future disease progression and reverse existing heart disease. We customize nutritional recommendations based on your genetic tests, as not all gene patterns respond to the same diets.
Effective Natural Solutions
In addition to diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes, there are many specific nutritional supplements or herbal medicines that can be beneficial for heart health. These supplements can help reduce the side-effects of your current medication, and can help you reach your heart health goals.
As a rule, the therapies we use at our office are safe, gentle, and non-toxic. Our doctors are trained in the identification and correction of drug-nutrient depletions and drug-herb interactions.
Common heart conditions helped by naturopathic medicine:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- High cholesterol
- High triglycerides
- Metabolic Syndrome / Insulin Resistance / Pre-Diabetes
- Heart arrhythmias, palpitations
- Peripheral arterial disease, venous insufficiency